||Community School promotes a heightened awareness of ecologically responsible behavior. Sustainability has become a schoolwide initiative and relates to both the School’s mission statement and the original Guiding Principles. From a young age students learn to take care of their bodies, the environment in which they live, and the earth. Community School’s extensive campus lends itself to the exploration of nature. The students experience the grounds daily throughout the curriculum, developing a deeper appreciation and respect for their roles as responsible citizens.
The goals for sustainability are age appropriate, child friendly, and inclusive of families. The School focuses on the following:
Students have also participated in drives to recycle old shoes and electronic equipment.
- Promoting energy efficiency and conservation
- Recycling of paper, cardboard, plastic, and aluminum
- Using reusable water bottles and washable mugs
- Planting classroom gardens
- Creating a compost bin for composting food waste and yard waste
- Utilizing green cleaning products throughout building
- Purchasing local food products and reducing packaging waste by making in-house dressings, soups, etc., in kitchen