At Community School, the arts are more than independent subjects. We integrate performing arts into our curriculum to build confidence and understanding. Visual arts are another important part of our curriculum. Students explore math, science, social studies and other core subjects through the lens of visual art, as well as learning about the discipline itself. Each child works with adults who are not only teachers, but also practicing artists. Students learn to think collaboratively while refining a high quality of craftsmanship.
Arts Integration at Community School
- In language arts, students work with rhymes, poetry, and song as a springboard for musical improvisations.
- In music class, students develop an understanding of the science of acoustics and the mathematical structures of song. Music teachers incorporate physical education through movement and instrumental play.
- Children of all ages learn choral pieces in French, Spanish, German, and many other world languages. Students learn songs to remember geography, history, and culture study.
- Woodshop teachers incorporate geography, language arts, social studies, math, and more into lesson plans.
- Technology enhances arts education in a variety of ways from SMARTBoard integrated lessons to students learning digital photography or stop motion animation.